- - - - -

Birds of Tasmania

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Shane V

Shane V

Posted 27 December 2007 - 01:05 PM

We are not Ornithologists, people who study birds.  On our trip around Tassie we saw many birds we did not know the names of.  There were little birds and big birds, no not the one from Sesame Street.  They made the most beautiful sounds and some of there colourings were amazing.  Since returning to society we have done a little research and discovered the names of some of the birds.

Seeing as we didin't know the names of them we made up our own.  Some of these birds we still do not know the names of.  A few of the names we made up were, and they all had Mr and Mrs on the front, Chippy Chippy, Yellow Leaves, Yellow Neck, Blat, and Red Bum.

Mr and Mrs Chippy Chippy turned out to be Superb Fairy Wrens.  The male has blue markings from head to toe, including the tail.  The female is mostly brown with a hint of blue on the feathers of her tail.  The male doesn't seem to make much sound but the female sounds as though she is nagging her partner with a constant chip, chip eminating from her.  We saw these birds in just about all the places we visited on our journey.  They seem to like places where there is a lot of scrubby type bushes, it makes it easy for them to hide from predators.  They also don't seem to be able to fly very high.

Mr and Mrs Yellow neck turned out to be Yellow-Throated Honey-Eaters.  They are mainly a brown mottled bird with a distinguishing yellow neck and a slight tinge of olive on their wings.  They had a beautiful sound, I can't really describe it, you'll have to hear it for yourself.  We saw these in a few of the places we camped but not as much as we saw the Chippies.

Mr and Mrs Blat.  I'm not sure of what these birds are but they do come from the fantail family.  They were a grey colour and quite boring to look at but they had the most beautiful range of calls that I have ever heard coming from a bird.  We saw these birds just about everywhere we went on the trip and it was nice to hear their calls thruoghout the day.

Mr and Mrs Red Bum looked like a largish finch and had, of course, a red bum.  I only recall seeing them at Sloop Reef.  I can't remember hearing their call because I only caught a quick glimpse of them.  I'm not sure where they are distributed around Tasmania but I think they are like the Chippy Chippies in liking the scubby areas.

Mr and Mrs Yellow Leaves.  This bird looks a bit like a Wattlebird and on its wings there are yellow oval markings.  They like to be in big flocks.  We saw them "playing" one day.  There seemed to be hundreds of them just flying through the air and landing on branches then flying away as other birds in the flock came near them, something like tag.  It was fun to watch and they were very noisy while doing it.  As for the name Yellow Leaves, I was excited upon seeing one of these and just came out with, "I just saw a bird with yellow leaves".  It was quite funny and we still get a laugh when we talk about the trip.

Other birds that we saw and knew the names of were Yellow Tailed Black Cockatoo, Kookaburra, Silver Gulls, Pied Cormorants, Crows, Pied Currawongs, Pacific Gulls and heaps more.  There a so many birds in Tasmania.

ADDENDUM:  After doing some research and trolling many websites I have finally discovered what species Mr and Mrs Blat are.  They are Grey Fantails...a rather boring name...I think I prefer the one we gave them.

#2 OFFLINE   tassiesim

tassiesim

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:13 PM

Haha ohh Margie what a fun read I am still gigling about mrs Chippie nagging Mr Chippie because I so agress with you !

#3 OFFLINE   Shane V

Shane V

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:00 PM

They are a beautiful little bird.  We watched many of them when we were camping and they always acted the same.  I love them.  They actually became a sort of mascot for the trip, if we didn't see one where we camped, which was rarely, I know I was unhappy.  (sort of like not having the kids around after school holidays,and everything is quiet.)

#4 OFFLINE   Mystic

Mystic

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:05 PM

Not sure if I would have used quite the same metaphor margie, but yes, I agree, sites where they did not exist were sort of a bit empty in comparison to those which did.
The secret to getting what you want, is to want what you need

If this website helps you, please consider a donation to help us keep the site running. Site Supporters (over $20 donation) also get ad free browsing

#5 OFFLINE   Shane V

Shane V

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:37 PM

I have been looking at some Bird sites and found out what Mr and Mrs Red Bum are.  They are a Beautiful Firetail.

I was also looking for Mr and Mrs Yellow leaves.  These could be either a New Holland Honeyeater or a Crescent Honeyeater.

#6 OFFLINE   tassiesim

tassiesim

Posted 11 February 2008 - 08:34 PM

While on the North East Coast I found a Mr Red chest , common name Flame Robin thanks Margie for ID'ing him

Attached Thumbnails

• Little_Red_Robin.jpg

#7 OFFLINE   Shane V

Shane V

Posted 11 February 2008 - 08:45 PM

Way cool shot of the flame Robin Sim, well done

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users